For questions about RENEWING your active Physician license, contact us at [email protected] or at 404-656-3913.
REQUIREMENTS FOR PHYSICIAN LICENSURE (Initial and Reinstatement):
GENERAL INFORMATION ON LICENSE TYPES:
- Full - This is a regular medical license.
- Telemedicine - Licensees under this license type will be limited to the practice of telemedicine and shall not be authorized to practice medicine physically in this state on a patient that is in this state, unless an emergency.
- Administrative - Licensees under this license type shall not be authorized to perform any surgical procedure, write prescriptions, or practice any clinical medicine.
- Institutional - This license type is issued under exceptional circumstances to graduates of international medical schools who an institution wishes to employ but who do not have an independent license to practice medicine in the State of Georgia. The license is jointly awarded to the applicant and the institution and the practice is limited as provided in Rule 360-10-.07.
- Compact - A physician license issued through the Interstate Medical Licensure Compact.
- Volunteer-in-Medicine - A special medical license to qualifying physicians for the sole purpose of practicing medicine in the non-compensated employ of public, not for profit, or nonprofit agencies, institutions, corporations, or associations that provide medical services solely to indigent patients in medically underserved or critical need population areas of the State.
- Physician Teacher - This license type is issued to physicians licensed and in good standing in other states and foreign countries for the sole purpose of teaching or demonstrating medicine in a Board approved medical college or its affiliated clinic in this State.
- Educational Training Certificate - A physician licensed in another state or foreign country who intends to enter into this state for the sole purpose of participating in or providing educational training that involves the provision of patient care must apply for an educational training certificate in order to provide patient care. For purposes of this rule "educational training" shall include medical education training, conference, clinics, workshops or courses.
- Temporary - This license type is no longer offered by the Board.
- Provisional - This license type is no longer offered by the Board.
- Temporary Postgraduate Training Permit - This permit is mandatory for participation in all postgraduate medical training programs in this State, unless the individual holds a license to practice medicine in this State prior to participating in the postgraduate medical training program or has applied for a temporary postgraduate training permit.
- Emergency Practice Permits - This license type is only offered during an event for which the Governor of the State of Georgia has issued an executive order declaring a disaster or a state of emergency.
OTHER PHYSICIAN LICENSURE INFORMATION: